Writing Through Divorce
When I went through divorce I was lucky to have a supportive therapist and a handful of friends, but I wanted more resources. I wished for a group of some sort. Writing Through Divorce will provide the camaraderie people crave during this difficult time. It will also offer, through writing prompts and activities, ways to process and move through divorce.
Borrowing from Internal Family Systems, we will examine the parts of ourselves that may have gotten lost during the marriage and the parts that are excited about the future.
Topics we will cover:
- Managing the big emotions (anger, fear, sadness, vengeance)
- Divorce Models – what you learned (positive and negative) from those who went before you, and ways to forge your unique path
- Grieving the losses (of your previous lifestyle, your old vision of the future, etc.)
- Dealing with being alone and/or new relationships
- Parenting during divorce (based on needs of the group)
- Letting go
- Taking charge of the future
During each meeting there will be one or more writing exercises that are related to the topic of the day. After writing, we will share our pieces (optional). This process allows for deeper processing of peoples’ experiences. Take-home writing prompts may be provided for further exploration/expression.
~ will repeat ~
Wednesday evenings from 5:30 – 7:30
January 7 – February 11
Room to Write
56 Maine Street
Limit 8 participants
What to Expect:
- Topic of the week (flexible)
- Writing exercises
- Sharing of participants’ writing (optional)
- Brief grounding ritual before leaving the meeting
- Coffee/tea and a very comfortable atmosphere
What this group is not:
~ It is not a “how to” program. While it is likely that members can share resources and advice about things like filing papers, legal issues, etc., the group is geared toward general emotional issues surrounding divorce.
~ It is not intended to be group therapy. Your facilitator is a trained mental health counselor and is skilled in working with divorce, but the focus of the group is on expressive and therapeutic writing as a tool to navigate divorce.
~ Because divorce is such a challenging passage, it is possible that participants will feel strong emotions during a meeting. Anyone signing up for the group is encouraged to have a support network besides the group. The facilitator reserves the right to suggest an alternative arrangement (such as individual psychotherapy) in cases where the group is not an appropriate place for someone.
If you have any questions or wish to register, please use the form below. I will forward information about how to pay.