I’m excited to offer Writing from the Self as a weekend retreat! Come enjoy beautiful Brunswick, Maine, and give yourself the gift of time spent looking inward. Writing from the Self is a combination writing group/personal growth workshop - for people of all writing abilities. It is ideal for all who enjoy writing and wish to deepen their self-understanding.
Friday, June 17 –
Sunday, June 19
(see hours below)
Room to Write
56 Maine Street
Limited to 6 Participants
Writing from the Self combines elements of Internal Family Systems and a variety of writing methods, including Proprioceptive Writing. I have found - both in my therapy practice and personally - that IFS and writing can be tremendously effective when used together.
Through this writing method, you observe the parts of yourself that are often hidden or not respected. These parts become sources of information; you listen to them and learn from them. When you are differentiated from your parts, you find "Self Energy." Vision is clear. You feel courageous and confident. This transformative energy can be a source of guidance from within.
What to Expect:
Friday Evening ~ 6 – 8 pm
This is part of the retreat, but is also open and free of charge to others who want to attend (space for four extra people)
- Introduction to Internal Family Systems – learn about your many subpersonalities or internal characters (called “parts”) and the transformative power of Self Energy
- A peek at how we can integrate IFS with writing, to access new layers of creativity and healing
Saturday ~ 9:30 am – 3:30 pm (with an hour break for lunch)
- A variety of writing and other activities to help us identify and get to know our parts
- Exploration of InnerActive Cards
- Instruction and practice for accessing “Self Energy”
- Brief meditations to begin to get distance from and perspective on our parts
- 20-minute guided writing sessions
- Music for bilateral stimulation
- Opportunities to discuss our own parts and our writing
Sunday ~ 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Writing session(s)
- Connection with child parts
- Special guided visualization aimed at internal healing – “Walking a Path with a Child Part”
All writing materials are provided. Coffee/tea and light snacks are provided; lunch Saturday is on your own (we are located beside many lovely places to eat!). Please contact me if you’d like a list of area accommodations.
Click here for much more information about Writing from the Self.
To read about scenes from past sessions of this workshop (the 6-week version), click here.
The material that we cover in this retreat can be very personal, deep and powerful. Participants are asked to be aware of possible triggers and arrange for extra support if they feel that will be needed. However, within our circle, we will work to create a safe atmosphere for sharing and healing.
In case you haven't seen it, here is a video of me telling all about Writing from the Self (7.5 minutes)
If you'd like more information, please use the form below.
1. Please submit a note via the form below, stating that you are registering.
2. Please pay the $100 deposit to hold your space; you may also pay the whole fee up front ($225). Use the PayPal button below the contact form*. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use this method (it will draw from a debit or credit card). I will notify you when I receive your payment. Thanks!
Cost of Retreat: $225
*Refund policy: If a registrant withdraws, a 50% refund of the deposit will be given, up to one week before the start of the workshop.