This one-session workshop is designed for people who want to begin or return to a writing practice, and would like a nudge. We will use prompts and inspiration from several sources, and create a safe and encouraging environment to share our efforts.
Friday, June 3
9:00 – 12:00
Room to Write
56 Maine Street
Limited to 8 Participants
Bring a friend and each pays $50
Here's what people said after previous sessions:
"The workshop opened up so many possibilities for establishing a writing practice."
"I can see and feel the words finding their way to my pen again!"
"Great way to get started and set an intention; great remedy to inertia."
The workshop gets its name from the great 1938 book by Brenda Ueland, entitled If You Want to Write. Ueland was a master at inspiration, as evidenced by some of her chapter titles:
~ Everybody is Talented, Original and Has Something Important to Say;
~ Be Careless, Reckless! Be a Lion, Be a Pirate When you Write;
~ You Do Not Know What is in You – An Inexhaustible Fountain of Ideas.
We will discuss the writing practices espoused in other books, as well, including: Writing is My Drink by Theo Nestor, Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg, The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron.
There will be exercises and prompts designed to help participants dive into a writing session while bypassing the "Inner Critic." We’ll discuss writing goals people want to set for themselves. This group is meant to be accessible to writers of all abilities – those who lack great confidence are welcome!
What to expect at the group:
- Introductions to classic books on writing
- A variety of exercises and prompts
- Brief guided meditation to enter writing sessions
- Quiet background music for mental stimulation (at the discretion of the group)
- Sharing of participants’ writing (optional)
- Coffee/tea and a very comfortable environment
Examples of prompts we might use:
- Write a “character sketch” of a person in your life
- Write a conversation between two parts of yourself (at two different ages)
- Write about an ordinary moment, describing all the senses involved
- Write a "26-Minute Memoir" (as outlined by Theo Nestor)
If you'd like more information, please use the form below.
1. Please submit a note via the form below, stating that you are registering.
2. If you are paying in advance, use the PayPal button below the form. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use this method (it will draw from a debit or credit card). I will notify you when I receive your payment. Thanks!
Cost of Workshop: $55